Q+A with Callum
Posted on October 5, 2021
Q+A with Callum!
Today we catch-up with Callum, a relatively new recruit to the First Chop but already a big part of the team. Before joining us he's delved into his own home-brewing fascination with pals over the past few years. You can check out their escapades here on Instagram (@beerboys_43)!
- What is your favorite from the First Chop range?
My favourite from the core range has to be Pod. It's just got the right balance between chocolaty roasty flavours with a lovely vanilla sweet finish. Even though it's a dark beer you can enjoy a can in the sun just as much as a cosy rainy night in.
- What music do you listen to whilst doing a brew / drinking a beer?
I'm a huge metal head so am usually blasting something loud and scary on brew days. But my music taste is very expansive and I can be found listening to anything from Hip-Hop to Soul.
My beer drinking Top 10 are:
1. Every Time I Die - Decayin' With The Boys
2. Deftones - Be Quiet and Drive
3. Logic - Flexicution
4. Thy Art Is Murder - Light Bearer
5. Flatbush Zombies - R.I.P.C.D
6. Counterparts - Burn
7. Tame Impala - Desire Be Desire Go
8. Cancer Bats - Hail Destroyer
9. The Maccabees - Something Like Happiness
10. Gojira - Oroborus
Listen to Callum's Spotify playlist! (bit.ly/callumfc)
- What’s your background in the craft ale scene?
This is actually my first full time role in the craft beer industry, but I've been immersing myself in the scene for a good few years now. After getting a taste for local craft beer I threw myself into volunteering at breweries, beer festivals, local craft bars and anything I could get involved with. I started homebrewing around two years ago and the obsession just grew from there.
- Session or non session beer? That is the question.
I love sub 4% pales as well as Triple IPAs so it's tough. But if I'm being made to choose one it's got to be session beer. Nothing better than a few hours hunkered down in the pub with friends and well-kept cask ale. It'd probably be disastrous if we tried the same with Imperial stouts
- Any new flavors you want Rik to bring into the mix at First Chop?
I'd love to experiment with new hop combinations and see what flavours they throw at us. The availability and quality is just getting better and better and our recent Single Hop Series shows just how diverse they are. The same goes for yeast strains.
- Anything else you’d like to add whilst we have you here? ????
Drink what you like, be respectful to everyone and support local.